Health Information: responsibilities of the department
The Health Information Department provides independent, evidence-based and easily understandable information for patients and the general community.
With this information, IQWiG aims to:
- enable the general public to make active and informed decisions on health questions,
- encourage the critical use of health-related services,
- improve knowledge about physical, mental and emotional health,
- improve comprehension of medical and scientific information, and
- enable patients to be supported by their family and friends.
The core project of the department is ist bilingual (DE/EN) website gesundheitsinformation.de/ informedhealth.org.
The staff in the department
- search and evaluate the evidence in order to identify health topics that are important and of interest to patients,
- produce specially prepared health information,
- update and supplement the contents of informedhealth.org at regular intervals,
- produce easily-understood information on IQWiG's final reports,
- and also handle their own projects commissioned by the Federal Joint Committee (G-BA) or the Federal Ministry of Health (BMG).
Dr. rer. medic. Klaus Koch
Degree course in Biology at the Universities of Bonn and Cologne; 1989: graduation as a certified biologist (“Diplom-Biologe”); 1990: award of the Scientific Journalism Scholarship from the Robert Bosch Foundation; until the end of 2005: freelance medical/scientific journalist (e.g. for “Süddeutsche Zeitung” and “Deutsches Ärzteblatt” [Journal of the German Medical Association]), and book author; 2006: Senior Editor, Institute Management, IQWiG; 2007: doctorate on the evaluation of methods for cancer screening, University of Cologne; from 2009 to 2013: member of the extended board of the German Network for Evidence-based Medicine, from 2011 to 2015: Deputy Speaker, from 2015 to 2017: Speaker in the Network’s Patient Information and Participation Section; April 2010: Deputy Head of the Department of Communications; since May 2011: Head of the Department of Health Information.
- Further development of concepts and methods for evidence-based consumer and patient information
- Editor-in-Chief of the German / English website gesundheitsinformation.de / informedhealth.org
- Representation of the department in committees and in public
Dr. med. Andreas Waltering
Degree in medicine. 1986-1992 employment as a nurse. 1992-1998 medical studies in Mainz and Aachen. 1999-2005 further specialization in the field of internal medicine. 2005-2009 scientific researcher at the Institute for Evidence-Based Medicine in Cologne, with a focus on "structured education and treatment programmes for patients with chronic diseases".
- Development of methodological principles for the purpose of creating evidence-based information for patients and the general public
- Project management of generation of information
- Identification of information requirements of patients and the general public
- Publication of new information arising from scientific and methodological research
Dr. Martina Ehrlich
Dr. Inger Janßen
Stefanie Reken, MSc-MPH BA (Hons.)
Dr. rer. medic. Milly Schröer-Günther
Thomas J. Swinehart